Wednesday, May 23, 2012

I Remember When...Finding Summer Jobs for Teens

Has anybody else noticed that with this economy, finding a summer job seems harder than ever for teens, whether in high school or college age?
     In my family even my college age child has had trouble finding a job to help her survive in school. I pray she does soon (pray with me, ok?) especially since she just applied for one that would be perfect for her. :)
     In the "old days" when I was a teenager, it was easy to get babysitting and other gigs. Plus a lot easier to get part-time jobs to help myself through college. I always had something to do, whether passing out American Express applications around campus, typing for a Temple Beth (and learning some Hebrew in the process :) ) working at a sleep-in summer camp, writing feature stories for a large daily, doing a journalism intership at a small weekly, or working as a secretary for an insurance agent (among other jobs.) So I was blessed.
     Now, though, it seems even adults have trouble getting jobs, let alone younger folks without any job experience.
     So I like some of the suggestions in this blog entry on Vocalpoint:
Finding Summer Jobs for Teens: . Ways to help your teens get a great summer job.

     One avenue I did NOT have when I was young was the internet and sites like Etsy or Yardsellr to sell my arts and crafts, or I likely would have pursued that. Plus I think there are other ways for teens to make money online selling their work, such as an ebook perhaps.

     Good luck to all of you!
Joan

Here are some other articles I've found that might help too:
Related articles
Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments welcome and appreciated :)